View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: MN title issues (Nada values)

In NJ I bought a 2000 Ford van with 120,000 miles a couple of years ago private party.

Sent in the signed receipt for the $4000 I paid.

A month or so later I get a letter from the state that the van should be worth $9000 wheres our money. They give you a form that you have to have the seller fill out!!! Of course you can have a mechanic sign off on doing a bunch of work, great but what about those who can do their own work. FWIW, the van needed the rear rebuilt and brakes all around. At Hershey the rear brake line blew a rust hole too. So it needed some $$$ in work.

The $9000 book value is for a low mile van sold by a dealer with a warranty which clearly does not apply to a private party sale.

In NJ it appears to be more of a scare tactic. I have talk to a few people that just ignored the paper and nothing happened. It is just a simple way to make more money as many people will just send in the money. I doubt it would hold up in court as I am sure a good lawyer would be quick to argue the dealer value does not apply to a private party sale.

Please let us know what happens. The community needs to keep abreast of these issues to hope to combat them in the future.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote