View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #16
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Brakes Not Stopping The Car

Being as I only discussed adjusting wedge and brake rod adjustment in post number eight , here is how I check and adjust for the 15 degree forward lean on the front brake levers . I adjust the square adjustment wedges behind the brake backing plates for a very slight drag that can just be felt . With the front brake rods disconnected I then pull back the slack on the brake levers and observe the front brake levers to check that the levers lean forward around 15 degrees . If the levers don't lean forward the desired amount its time to let off on the adjustment wedges and remove the brake drums for access to the front brake push rods or sometimes called operating pins . The pins should be seven and one quarter inches long. If the push rods are worn too short it will be necessary to replace with new unworn parts or build the push rods up with weld for correct length . I have sometimes used brake pills-shims to force the levers to the 15 degree forward lean . If it takes more than three pill-shims per side I would either replace or build up the pushrods to the correct seven and a quarter inch length . If removal or replacement of the push rods is necessary it will be necessary to remove the front lower operating wedges for access .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote