View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #13
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Conversion to 6 volt, positive ground, LED headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio View Post
Merc Cruzer....Let me ask you....Is there a particular reason for purchasing the Hella head light housing opposed to the housings recommended (DOT compliant) by LEDlight.com? Just curious as I ordered the lamp housings recommended on the LEDlight.com website by mistake. They should arrive tomorrow (Friday).

Thanks,
Pat
When they arrive, give them a try and see how they work. I would be very interested to hear what you think of the lights. It would be great to see pictures of the lights.

My research into the DOT compliant lights, was that they are required to project 15% of the light upward for overhead signs.

The description of the LEDlight's recommend headlight housing:

Headlight housing 7" round DOT complaint with T10 5 Watt parking bulb. This assembly allows you to install your own led, hid, xenon or halogen bulb. The assembly accepts P43T H4 headlight bulb. These DOT headlamp assemblies are designed for USA right hand traffic LHD. The headlight housing is made of plastic. The assembly is CE and Rohs listed. The headlight semi sealed housing assembly has a clear lens. This assembly works great for vintage and classic vehicles with older faded glass or plastic headlights. For 6 volt positive ground and 6 volt negative ground vehicles you can use our 6 volt led bulbs and upgrade you old vehicle to led lighting. Easy DIY just remove existing headlight assembly and install this semi sealed headlight assembly usually by 3 screws. This headlight works good for motorcycles, scooters and tractors that are old and either 6 or 12 positive and negative ground systems. Comes a pair of 2 headlight assemblies. A rubber boot covers your bulb to keep out the environment as much as possible. Compatible with: H6024 size 52 Mercedes 220 w1872d1 1949 Plymouth convertible

The Hella Housing:

The Hella's are a metal housing with a glass lens.

The low beam will yield about four times as much light down trail as a standard sealed beam and twice as much on high beam. A wedge of light on the right side lights up trailside features. These offer tight beam control and don’t spread light overhead like DOT conversions. That facilitates the use of upgraded bulbs without offending oncoming traffic. Hella E-code headlights conform to European Standards. Not DOT approved.

Hella's engineering of headlights. Hella's lights are a better product with a long running history and reputation. I also felt the lens patter on the Hella's was better than the recommended ones. (see attached pictures). I am sure that LEDlight's recommendations are made to comply with current DOT standards, state laws and insurance recommendations for products sold to be used in cars on the public highways and roads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED headlight housing.jpg (52.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Hella_002395031_Round_H4_Conversion_Headlight_Housing.jpg (37.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Hella_002395031_Round_H4_Conversion_Headlight_Housing_Back.jpg (31.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9664.jpg (61.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9665.jpg (69.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 09-13-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote