View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #10
Synchro909

Default Re: Water Temp Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPbee81 View Post
Had been running hot before but assumed it was water loss since the Waterpump shaft was so badly scored. I ran Preston Radiator Flush thru the system for a couple of weeks, (maybe 50 miles), when I drained the system it wasn't terribly cruddy, but flushed Radiator and Engine with water hose until clear ware ran through. Went back and double checked and fan belt was not as tight as I think it should be, adjusted that and will see if it makes a difference. I'll try to validate the Temp Gauge with an additional thermometer this week...

Thanks for the input..
I'd say that overtightening the fan belt is the most common error made by Model A owners. I leave mine with a good 2" of free play when I "wiggle" the belt on the long stretch between the water pump and the crank on the RHS. If I try turning the fan by hand, it takes little force to turn it - no chance of turning the motor over. I've seen too many water pumps and generators ruined by over tightening the belt.
The beauty of the Vee design of these belts is that as load comes on them, they automatically grip more - no need to run them tight.