Thread: Dwell RPM meter
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 10:35 PM   #2
Flathead Fever

Default Re: Dwell RPM meter

I've had a Sun tach/dwell meter like this one for over 40-year's. Back when I was 16 and setting dual points on a Hipo 289 and a Boss 302. They would go to 7000 rpm so the dwell must have been accurate. You don't really need a dwell meter. If you set them with a feeler gauge, you will be real close. But its always nice to verify it with a dwell meter. I think this came from Sear's. It was decent meter for home use but probably not as good as the commercial ones that came on the Sun Scopes. I bet if your patient you can find a real nice one on eBay still in the box. How often does the average car guy use one of these at home?

I looked on eBay. There are several of these Snap-On Dwell Meters in various conditions and prices. These look like the quality dwell meters similar to the ones that came in the old scopes. You need to be careful with those clip on magnetic leads. They break if they get dropped. I've broke one or two of them on the old Sun scopes dropping them. The leads are so long on the scopes it was easy for them to hit the ground.

I bought an entire 1970s sun scope that works great because the guy no longer had room for it in his garage for $100.00. These were the best scopes ever made for looking at ignition patterns. We had them at work and then they replaced with the bar graph digital pieces of junk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dwell.jpg (49.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg dwell 2.jpg (65.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (18).jpg (50.8 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 01-06-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)