Thread: Timing
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #14
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Let's back up the bus a bit and reflect on a couple of things. This statement first: "I don't set my timing by the points." Since a spark occurs when the points just start to open, it follows that the points' position and gap is what determines timing, NOT the rotor tip. The position of the rotor tip has absolutely no effect on timing. Initial (or base) timing is set with the pin in the timing gear depression, timing lever fully up (this is critical), points gap set correctly and points just starting to open. Tighten the center screw, crank the engine exactly two turns to verify, then leave it alone for the life of the engine! Just keep the point gap set correctly, and the timing will never change until the timing gears and distributor gears are worn out.

Second point: We have been talking only about initial timing so far. As soon as the engine starts, the timing lever is pulled down a little, and the faster we drive, the further we pull the timing lever down (thus advancing the timing) to our favorite position.
So in reality, while driving the timing is never where we worked so hard to set it!

I can see that you THINK that you are a real smart guy . Every time that I look back, you are attacking another one of my posts. If you want to continue to make your IGNORANCE obvious go right ahead

Its hard to believe that a person that CLAIMS to know Anything about timing would make the statement that rotor tip position has no effect on timing

Points gap determines when SPARK OCCURS.

If the rotor tip isn't set pretty damn close to the correct position the engine will be out of time and probably won't run

The MOST important thing about ignition timing is where the rotor tip points

Points gap and the exact moment that the spark occurs is secondary

Points gap can be way off and the engine will still run

A person with knowledge and experience with the model A will start the engine at full retard

The owners manual recommends full advance at speed

When driving the model A the driver controls advance and retard with the spark lever

If initial timing is off a person wont really know when hey are getting full retard or advance

Being as you are confused , INITIAL TIMING is MOST important

I've owned and timed model A's for nearly 60 years

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 10-17-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote