View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
holdover

Default Re: Working in the garage

I also have a magnet on rollers that I got at Northern tools , works great. Before welding I clear the area of any combustibles, always have fire extinguishers handy (over 8 of them spread around my shop and also a few gallons of water. I have stopped using drop lights and have gone to LED for hand held lighting. I have been a firefighter for over 50 years and can tell you that the old style drop light has caused many fires when dropped and bulb breaking with spilled gas on the floor. The local Ford dealership burned down due to this happening. I also learned a trick over 50 years ago. I never had a gas fire in the garage, but I'm ready if one were to happen if the fire is on the floor from spilled gas. I worked at a repair shop in the early 60's and we always had a gallon bucket near-by filled with speedy dry for oil spills or a gas fire. The owner gave me a demonstration of how it worked. He poured a cup of gas on the floor in a cleared area and lit it, he showed how the flames were high and it tended to spread outward, then he poured the speedy dry on it, immediately the spread stopped by the gas being absorbed and the flame was lowered to maybe an inch or two above the speedy dry. The fire was contained and shortly burned out, and gave time to get an extinguisher if need be. My dad use to say "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote