View Single Post
Old 11-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #8
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: '55 F100 new project, new member

I never saw the point in swapping to an FBO dizzy. If you have a '57 or later Y-block, you already have the upgraded vacuum/mechanical advance distributor. Just take out the points and condenser and replace with a Petronix unit and you basically have what they are selling. They claim to have an improved distributor shaft bushing location as opposed to the original, but you should be able to get lifetime service out of the OEM distrib bushing with periodic lubrication.
I personally will never purchase another Petronix unit ever again. I had a petronix in a '57, 292 Y-block that only lasted a few months, and I had a Petronix unit in my '55, 272 Y-block that only lasted about a month. Went back to points and condenser. The Petronix units are made in China. It's likely they can't withstand the heat. But all your repro condensers are made in china also, and you are darned lucky to get one of them to last very long either.
If you look at the FBO main webpage, the guy who wrote the sales pitch for their unit really overdid it to the point that turned me off.
My car is running just fine with it's original load-o-matic dizzy and I don't need his FBO!
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote