View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #27
johnneilson

Default Re: How much better is a B block than an A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Not everybody is a racer.
Chris, exactly my point.

The market for an improved "B" block would be very limited by the fact that Vintage racing does not allow for aftermarket blocks. BTW, that market would benefit most as the output easily triples (and more) the original design power levels. Donovan I understand has sold the last one known as the "D" block. I do understand that there are a few around that can be bought, you have to look, and bring a stack of bills.

The "perceived" notions that "B" blocks are inferior to "A" blocks is IMHO an old wives tale. Sure, every production motor design/production can have flaws or weaknesses when power levels start to rise above design. This applies to lawnmower motors up to big diesel motors.

Babbitt bearing design goes back to the railroads, very large and heavy applications. Designed properly, alloyed, installed and lubricated properly it is very forgiving and will withstand much abuse. There is a well known person around here who ran a babbitt rotating assy in a "B" motor, OHV and Turbocharged on methanol at Bonneville. It is reputed to be his preparation for the races to just dust off the motor after removing it from storage and install into car.

John