View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
FRITZ47

Default Re: 1936 Dashboard color?

Thanks for the comments - we have already purchased and installed a new chrome windshield frame and are having the wiper motor rebuilt by Ficken. We also purchased a correct taupe front rubber floor mat from Carpenter and added a gasket set to the rumble seat compartment. If we add anything, we keep the car original (little by little), but in view of the quantity of vehicles that we have to maintain, are not doing any major restorations at this time (other than my '40 convertible, which has received plenty of help on this forum). That car was just painted Garnet Maroon last week and is undergoing a complete revamp, and kept as original as possible (including a new top) with a few minor things that we are not changing as yet.

As for the old car values in general (including our beloved pre-war flat heads), sales are down and selling prices are down on everything from about 4 years ago. If there are not enough ready buyers, selling prices go down. That has been a good thing for my son and I, as we have been active buyers during the past 4 years. We have a full-time restoration shop at work, and keep track of our costs. In today's market, it is far less costly to buy a car that is finished than to do a full restoration, even if doing your own work. Every 2 or 3 years we do a correct body-off restoration and usually end up with a cost that is double the actual value of the finished car (and we have our own shop - imagine the cost if sent to a restoration shop). It's only a hobby I keep telling myself, but I still like to be realistic on what we do to a car when it comes to costs.

We usually buy cars that are in #2 condition (at bargain prices); then make some improvements as needed to improve their appearance, but it is not practical for us to do a full restoration to put the car in #1 condition - far too costly and far too much time to do so. So for our nice 1936 Ford Cabriolet, we will do what we can, and what we do will be correct In view of the difficulty in locating and installing gray gauges, we will keep that on the back burner, but for now can have our local graphic artist wood-grain the dash to the late 1936 color. For him, this is easy and we do not have to remove the dash. For normal display purposes, this will improve the appearance of the interior and the only way to know for sure would be for a knowledgeable person to have the Vin number.

I am still looking for some pictures of a late 1936 Ford Cabriolet dash at this time, so that we get it done correctly.

I want to say that everyone on this forum has certainly been extremely helpful and the responses are almost instant. Thanks everyone!

Fritz
FRITZ47 is offline   Reply With Quote