View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
drolston

Default Re: Speedway Stromberg 97 Quality?

I bought one primary 97 and two secondaries in chrome from Speedway. Of the three, one has the ribbed top, two do not. Annoying but no big deal. One primary fuel path was blocked by a casting flaw. Took me a while to figure it out, but they replaced it with no argument. One float was set 1/8" high, one same amount low, one dead on. Messed up one accelerator pump seal cup taking the top off and on umpteen times; replaced all with the new blue type. The primary started to pour fuel out of the top because the float sprung a leak and sank; - Because I did not follow instructions to not stress the nitrile (plastic) float when bending the float tab to adjust float level. My fault but very bad design, bordering on dangerous. One of the secondaries would not fill, due to stuck float needle valve. Replaced all with Grosse ball-type float valves.

The blocked primary and failure prone float represents poor quality. The other issues are pretty much normal carburetor stuff. It has been two years since all of that and no problems since. The chrome carbs look great and run just fine. Idle adjustments work well and I am getting 17 mpg on the highway with .045 main jets. In spite of all of the problems, I would buy them again.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote