Thread: Used camshafts
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #35
tubman

Default Re: Used camshafts

I think "Mart" hit the nail on the head. What we can do as "Hobbyists" gives us much wider choices than a pro builder can even consider. Also, some (maybe a lot) of us are on a limited budget and wouldn't be able to build an engine if we had to run out and buy new components and first class machining whenever we had to do something. Luckily for us, flatheads are forgiving enough that we can get by with this most of the time.

I think I now understand why "Pete" never gave a direct response; as a pro builder, I think he has to say "Don't do it!". He probably also remembers the old, low budget days when you either used marginal components or stayed home. Thus my question is essentially unanswerable for him. "Pete" has a great reputation and I am sure he would be the first guy I would go to if I needed a special cam and had the funds for it. Sadly, that's not the way it is in my world; I go with what I have and quite frankly, I have had quite a bit of success (or luck).

Which brings me to another point. I believe this is a forum for hobbyists and not pro engine builders. Thus, I believe my original question was appropriate and I appreciate the responses I got from guys like "Russ/40" and "Seth Swoboda". In the end, what may be a bad decision for a pro builder might turn out to be the completion of an engine build for me.

Last edited by tubman; 03-06-2018 at 06:37 PM.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote