View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
drolston

Default Re: Triple Carbs + alternator

I put Offy triple on the 59A/B in my '41 coupe, which, except for the crank mount fan versus your manifold yoke mount, would be a similar challenge. I am going for the classic hot rod, so paid the $430 for the PowerGen alternator, that looks like a generator. I used the Offy generator offset bracket that puts the generator (alternator) on the left head. The alternator is well clear of the water hose and even with the shorter Champion aluminum radiator, the belt clears the underside of the water hoses by 1/2". Note the plywood pulley alignment device between the Offy bracket and the alternator slide. Not sure why I needed that, but in the finest hot rod "just make it work" tradition, I am good with it. The belt turns maybe 20 degrees over the left water pulley, but that is plenty because the water pump does not offer much resistance.

The other thing I did was to put 2" risers plus phenolic insulators under the carbs. This allowed me to invert the progressive linkage on the left side. Works the same, but pulls the rear carb instead of the front. That makes room for neater looking fuel line banjo fittings on the carbs, and I could even hook up the manual throttle. The carbs stay cooler, are not hidden behind the hoses, and the idle adjust screws are much easier to get to. Had to fab an adjustable throttle rod from the firewall to the center carb on the right side; using end connectors from Speedway and a turnbuckle from Ace Hardware.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ThreeStrombergsSinging.jpg (90.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Plywood Pully Alignment.jpg (32.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Three deuces.jpg (87.2 KB, 130 views)
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote