View Single Post
Old 09-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #33
ryanheacox

Default Re: How Far In One Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
To those who enjoyed my 640 mile trip story I would like to add to it just a bit. Apparently some did not read the first sentence. The car was advertised in the MARC News, the national club magazine which was then it is infancy. I am a 65 year MARC member. Anyhow to move along with an addition to the story in East Providence RI on this trip there was little to no traffic and we saw a soldier hitchhiking. I stopped and said I would give him a ride if you are willing to sit in the back seat and freeze. He said his pass from Camp Edwards expired at morning revillie so with no traffic on the road he hopped in. We soon realized he had a few drinks too many. Every mile or two he kept repeating "the guys in the barracks will never believe this". He had his Army overcoat and never put it on, just sat in the middle of the back seat repeating about the guys in the barracks. I let him off at the Bourne bridge over the Cape Cod Canal and he still had about 8 miles to reach Camp Edwards. By the way I drove the Phaeton to Dearborn in 1955 for the first National Model A Meet, and again in 1957 for the second National Meet, each round trip about 2000 miles. To this day its only roadside repair has been a condenser in Dearborn 1957. It has never personally met a ramp truck in its 65 years of my ownership, and has had just the one roadside repair that I previously mentioned.

That is fantastic. You could write a book.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote