View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #321
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

I'm going to do stories on some of the pilots, farmers, drivers and perhaps others I have known or worked with. The name White is phoney everything else is dinkum.

Rick.

Nothing stood in Rick’s way when it came to sow, protect, harvest and deliver his crop. No nothing. The Billabong Creek ran through the southern end of Rick’s property. Heavy rain had fallen in the Urana – Lockhart area and the creek was flooded and Rick new it would reach his property in a little over a fortnight and flood his cereal crop. A dozer was hired and Rick had a good size levee built. The manager of a neighbouring government research farm Mr White, endeavoured to stop Rick who disregarded the painful Mr White. Fortunately no damage to either property.

Rick was an adventurous farmer who was also share farming west of Hillston NSW. Cotton had not being grown this far south before. Rick planted. Magnificent crop, every farmer watching carefully. It became a very major crop following Ricks success and two cotton gins have been built to cater for the production.

But Rick had to deliver so he hires a grader and rejuvenates the farm tracks but doesn’tstop there. He graded them all the way to town. The shire was hostile but it fell on dear ears. Rick appeared contemptuous. That wasn’t his intention but his manner. He mumbles and is not really a good communicator.
A couple of years back I invited the four best growers I knew to a private luncheon simply to acknowledge their work and skill and gave them each a letter to say just that. Well no one had ever acknowledged or honoured Rick before and he took his letter to town and had it framed.

Isn’t it great to recognise a person for their strength and determination. It can give their self esteem aconsiderable lift. I was so pleased with what I had done.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote