View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 1931 Coupe Banger Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MN View Post
I agree with John's statement about not needing to plumb to the back of the block if changing to an electric pump. If you totally block off the original water inlet, you now marginally risk running higher temps around cylinders 1 & 2 as much of the water will move to the head and pass through the collection port (that raised section on the head) to the water outlet. I was planning to do the same thing you describe but decided a pump with a bit more flow would get adequate water to the back of the engine.
Another negative to porting to the back of the block...You decrease the value of the block when you make these changes as the next owner may not want the modification.

Good Day!

An option that would aid in cooling is something I was going to do years ago on my track roadster, ...and that was to use a ported water inlet that has a threaded bung (-the type when plumbing a water heater) and then tap a ¼-pipe inlet in the side of the head. Using a small 12v electric water coolant booster pump (-available at places like Summit or Jegs) mounted just above the starter would push through the head back to the stock pump. The head is where the heat is located, -and if that water is moved, the heat won't be dissipated down into the block's water jacket area.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote