View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
Hamtown Al

Default Number of surviving 36 Fords with folding tops

Thanks to many great helpers that have either directed me to a surviving 36 Ford Convertible Sedan or directed others that owned 36 convertible sedans to me; over the past 15 plus years we've managed to account for 203 total cars out of the 5,601 that were produced. That is about a 3.6 percent survival rate for 36 convertible sedans overall.

I recently acquired a 36 roadster and a 36 phaeton and I began to wonder how many of each of those might still be around today.

I always thought the convertible sedans were rare but when I looked at the production numbers for roadsters and phaetons and found that there were more convertible sedans(5,601) built than either phaetons(5,555) or roadsters(3,862).

To me, the convertible sedans should have held up better than the roadsters or phaetons for no other reason than they had roll up windows and a fixed windshield and I believe were much more watertight.

I have no real idea of how many roadsters and phaetons survive today but if they survived at the same rate as the convertible sedans, there are only 139 roadsters and 200 phaetons. I'm thinking there are many more of both kinds but don't know.

Has anybody done any research on the number of surviving roadsters and phaetons?

Any guesses as to why there may be more or less?

I'm thinking the roadsters were pretty popular so they might have a higher survival rate but don't know how much that would improve the survival rate.
What do y'all think?

Curious Al