View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 07:01 AM   #6
Duckfarmer27

Default Re: Lloyd Young Car Auction Today

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I'm not a big poster on here but this time I have to speak up - and I agree with Brent.

I've been on both sides of the block selling things - I'm not an auctioneer but was an owner in a business that heavily used auctioneers. There are disreputable auctioneers out there who will use a shill - or those who will bump you without a shill. You had better have your wits about you and be observant, no matter what you are buying at an auction - or anywhere from anyone for that matter. But I know many auctioneers who I trust implicitly - I'll leave a bid on something with them if I can't be at the auction and not worry one bit about it. But that trust goes both ways because I stand behind my bid. Over the years I've seen all kinds of weaseling going on from someone who had 'buyers remorse' after the fact.

A week ago I was on the phone at an auction - not during the bidding - doing exactly what Brent said. There were numerous cars there and I was comparing notes with my brother to determine how much I was willing to bid on one particular vehicle. Ended up I never raised my hand as other people wanted it a whole lot more than I did! And I have at times in the past during the bidding been on the phone during the actual bidding.

Personally, I enjoy an auction. But then I know many people who are nervous about it - I think because it puts them out of their comfort zone. The risk you take on 'being taken' is versus the chance to 'get a deal'.

All that said I have never seen a buyer get a 'deal' cheap enough nor a seller get what the article is 'really worth' at auction. That is just human nature.

And lets face it - a person with the best of intentions can end up misrepresenting a 90 year old vehicle unintentionally. You can test drive, dicker, have 'your mechanic' look over an old car - and it can blow up loading it on the trailer. Most of us don't have perfect x-ray vision.

My 2 cents on the subject.

Dale
Duckfarmer27 is offline   Reply With Quote