Thread: How much paint?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: How much paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post

I am using Urethane 8:1:2. The data sheets call for 2 coats, one medium wet coat, And one full wet coat.

I am planning on color sanding and buffing, I was planning on Three coats, past experience was that was enough. I am not opposed to going with another.

I am doing the bed as well, but cannot buff it as I would never get the compound out of the crevices.

Your 8:1:2 mix ratio sounds like Axalta's cheaper paint line. In essence, you are only getting 5½ sprayable quarts when mixed. We tried the Nason line back when DuPont owned it and felt like the solids content was not very good. We have since tried the ChromaPremier line since being sold to Axalta and chose to go back to PPG's DCC line due to poor coverage. If you are able to get good coverage with two-coating, then my hat is off to you. We were not that fortunate.

As for colorsanding, you are probably aware, there is a fine line between not enough, -and too many coats. For those unaware, too many coats typically adds a texture to the paint surface often called orange peel. Less coats properly applied tends to flow-out better however even then it often needs to be colorsanded and buffed. When the mil thickness of the paint is less, it is very easy to buff or polish thru the paint surface.

Use ¼" tape on all the edges (-like around the stake pockets and rivets) to keep the compound media from penetrating, and to keep the buffing pad from burning the edge.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote