View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 02:05 PM   #16
Jim M

Default Re: Distributor help!!!

Well I worked about an hour this morning and narrowed it down to something in the distributor. When I bought the car it had the original point set up and after reading all the comments about the "new" set up with the condenser on top of the top plate I decided a while ago to go with it. It ran fine but in the back of my mind it bugged me to go away from the original. So after a major overhaul of the drive train (discovered a cracked axle so did everything from the flywheel back including transmission) I decided to go back to the original distributor set up. It was giving me fits so I left it for the summer till we returned from our camper trips. When we got back to FL about 3 weeks
ago the fun started and it would not start. I must have taken the distributor apart 3 or 4 times and checked everything I could think of including replacing the dang shielded cable from the switch. NO luck. This morning I finally decided to go back to the "new" set up. Took about an hour to put it back together and check all the connections, etc. Got in and hit the starter and it fired up and ran like a champ. After some mental words and thinking over what I did I believe somehow there must have been a short in the condenser. At this point since it is running I am going to leave well enough alone....whew!!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote