View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #193
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: 1955 Ford Club Sedan Refresh Blog

Got back from being out of town and just had to get in the garage for some therapy. I decided to remove all of the trim (save the rear bumper and the windshield/glass trim) so I could begin the body work and paint process.

Some photos and some questions for you fellas that have more experience than I ...

First up, the doors. The passenger door is the "worst" of the two but won't require much. I am going to treat some of the rust on the inside cavity and then paint inside, making sure that the drain holes are good.

Next, a wonderful find... the previous owner decided to hold each of the Fairlane Crowns on the doors with this goo Must be pretty good stuff. After 25 years or so they never fell off!

All of the upper window openings have rust like this:

That will be fun.

Of course we had a slew of clips and fasteners to deal with but I've gotta ask a question from this photo

Which one is original? I assume the one on top that is "square" right? The other one (like some of the other clips) simply broke off in my hand when I gave a gentle tug on the SS trim pieces.

And then how about this? Check out the paint - serious crow's feet pattern going on. This paint job is about 25 years old but the white is in serious trouble like this all the way around the car. The red is in excellent shape and looks like it could have been painted 3 years ago. What gives?

I went ahead and took 120 to a patch of the white paint on the rear quarter panel just to see, then I took it to 400. I cleaned it with thinner and this is what it looked like still, although you could not physically feel any crow's feet you can still see them.

Can I paint over this if I knock it down with something as serious as 120 and then maybe follow up with my 2K primer surfacer?