View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 11:10 PM   #25
Paul Bennett

Default Re: school me about diodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
I want to install a 3rd brake light without going all the way up to the brake light switch for power by installing a diode in a wire from each brake light socket feed. I see many different names for the diodes and am confused as to which type I need. What kind/size/rating of diode do I use for this purpose? My system is 12 volts.
I understand your wish to make connections strictly in the trunk. Two power diodes such as the 1N5400 will pass 3 amps and reject 50 volts may do what you want and they are cheap. Use 2 diodes to gather brake and turn signals voltage to yield these results = When you turn on your turn signal on flashing the brake lights on one side, the 3rd brake light will also flash. When you brake to turn and the brake light comes on solid on the other side, the 3rd brake light will quit blinking but will go on solidly If this is ok, (positive ground car>) connect the anode of each diode to the 3rd brake light and individual cathodes to each brake light. (negative ground car>) connect the individual anodes to each brake light and connect cathodes together at the 3rd brake light.

Diodes, yes many exist but you are switching power so you would use power diodes. Diode function ... a wire passes electricity regardless of which way you face the wire. Diodes pass electricity only one direction. The anode must be more positive than the cathode. Electrically characteristics are basically how much current will flow and how much voltage it will keep from flowing.

Back to the 3rd light...I am going to use a separate mechanical brake switch and a 3rdbrakeflasher.com which rapidly flashs the brake signal before going solid. $15-$20. G-Force units are $30 sensing how urgently you are stopping and changing the flashing accordingly.

Also, modules are available to separate the turn signals from the brake light signals so the 3rd light gets brakes only. Connect to each brake light.

Also, a module may do what you want but I haven't used ::: click for link Claims to filter the turn signal out of the third brake light This may be the answer to using 2 diodes.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote