View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #21
jesselashcraft

Default Re: 1914 Model T touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
...but what remains to be seen is what caused it. Overheating? Freezing? How thin is the iron? and most of all, is that the original motor for the car...
The engine number is 346779. If I'm reading my reference book correctly, that would have been around August 1913. The date stamp on the block just above the putty knife blade is: 3 11 13

So if it's not the original motor, I think it's safe to say we're still in the ballpark which is good because the earlier engines had the thicker metal, right?

Quote:
Once you pull the motor for some work it turns into "shoulda fixed this and shoulda fixed that"...
I hear ya. I'm not going to drop the motor and transmission without an overhaul. I really know nothing about this car and I wouldn't want to drive it any further away from home than I would mind to push it back.

I've heard the gouge on the thrust washers, Kevlar bands and Rocky Mountain brakes. It's these kind of improvements that would make me feel more comfortable about the car's roadworthiness. So this project might take a while. I try to think of it as a journey.

Thanks for the raw egg tip. I think I'll just leave that white cotton fiber stuffed into the radiator fins where it is. Got two of my four new tires mounted and they're both holding air! (My first experience brandishing a tire iron). Those flaps are an excellent investment for a novice like me.

Last edited by jesselashcraft; 09-09-2015 at 02:49 PM.
jesselashcraft is offline   Reply With Quote