View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #25
JOES31

Default Re: Old Points or Modern Points

Good idea, The engine only has 700 miles and I pulled the head because of what looked like a seeping gasket. The cylinders looked perfect as much as you can see from the top. Could it have a bad ring yes but not probable. It was rebuilt 15 years ago by a reputable builder at the time. I'll still check it.

I re-timed it today. I set it up as the picture with all CW lash out and re-set the points to .020. It still seemed to have too much advanced so I put a light on it and it came on at full retard. I re-adjusted it so when I advance the spark about three clicks on the lever the light comes on. It ran much better in that position. I think that is where I will leave it. It seems to be the optimal timing. Not exactly the accuracy I am accustom to. If I could just find the OBD plug on the car!

What I should do now is find someone that has an A and let then drive it to get an opinion. I was told that we have a really good Model A club in the area, the Santa Anita Model A Club here in Southern California. I'll have to seek them out where ever they are.

Now on to the next project.....fix the speedometer, remove the broken tap someone left in the dash plate mount, etc etc.

Thanks for all the help.
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote