Thread: Reliability
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #15
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Reliability

I do get better gas mileage with dual up draft B carbs and higher compression than I do with a single model A Zenith carburetor on a stock engine . They seem to run cooler with reasonably higher compression .. I agree that an alternator is the best way to go but ..I prefer the generator in most cases for original appearance. I can work on and usually fix generators but not so with alternators . Modern cars use electronic ignition and it is far superior to the model A distributor . I know nothing about electronic ignition and the least problem with it would leave me stranded . I'm only a fairly good shade tree mechanic but I can usually deal with the model A distributor . There is a big reliability advantage with modern distributors . I've got Mallory dual point distributers from the nineties and the only thing that I have had to replace on them so far was condensers . They increase the spark , of course the higher the RPM the higher the increase , to a point . The Mallory distributors have automatic advance but I still like to do the advance myself with an original distributor . I feel that air filters do more harm than good and restrict power . Model A's have survived for over ninety years in many cases without an air filter . An oil filter would add longer engine life . Oil filters are hard to conceal and I just don't like the looks on my model A . Again many model A's have survived over ninety years without one . I've run model A's without an oil filter for nearly 59 years .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote