View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #9
GOSFAST

Default Re: Flathead Valve Adjusting Methods ??'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
I set them with out the springs on, before the crank and rods are in, no assylube on the cam, just eng oil, same in the bearings,
once set all the valves and followers go into a table with 1234etc inlet and exh marked,
all clearances checked after assembly with the springs in,then you only have to turn the motor two turns,
Lawrie
Hi Lawrie, you "nailed" this one before I did, don't understand why I didn't think of this years ago?? Too simple I guess!

On the second build here yesterday I picked up 16 "checking" springs, we usually keep pairs here for mocking-up, took about 15 minutes to install the 16 valve assemblies (with the light springs) then another 15 minutes to set the lash on 16 valves. Simple really!

The nice part about this method is you can "raise the lifters out of the bores to turn the adjusting screws" with absolutely no "hassle", and all done while still turning the cam still with only 2 fingers!

If this all pans out for me I'll be able to totally install 16 valve assemblies and have the lash "ready-to-go" in under 1 hour (this is not counting the 1/2 hour mock-up time). If this does "pass the test" it will mean I can do the entire procedure in an hour and a half with the mock-up time?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Thanks again for the replies so far, now all I have to do is install the 32 actual springs and hopefully they don't change my initial lash settings here? We'll see later today!

Last edited by GOSFAST; 11-04-2019 at 06:51 AM. Reason: C
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote