View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
GOSFAST

Default Re: Flathead Valve Adjusting Methods ??'s

Hi Pete, my "goal" is to have all 16 valves set w/o having all the lube wiped from the lobes (this means NO valve springs installed at all for now), so far I've reached that goal as of tonight!

We should be able to do the entire ass'y, pistons, valves, etc. w/o having the cam turning with the actual valve spring loads in play? This will allow the "moly" to stay on the lobes longer than normal. I realize at one point the fully assembled unit must be rotated, but I might be able to hold that off until the unit is installed in the ride?? Again, we'll see, I'll know more tomorrow!

I hope I'm making this clear here, I know exactly what I want to accomplish, just not sure I'm explaining it correctly though.

In short, I believe I can fully assemble the build and the only time it will be "turned" with the springs "loaded" is when the customer is ready to install/run it?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Much of what I'm trying to do will depend on just how close I can get the valve lash set w/o the actual springs installed and have it be where I want it when the springs are finally in place? In other words I want to see how much difference I see in the preset lash without the "real" spring pressure (70# closed) and with it.

Last edited by GOSFAST; 11-03-2019 at 08:38 PM. Reason: C
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote