View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
Mart

Default Re: Rebuilt Flathead Problems.

There was a similar thread recently on the same subject.

I'm not that well up on the 8BA, but does it have a timing mark and pointer? If so, when the pointer is lined up, the valves should be "rocking" (exhaust just closing/inlet just opening) on either no1 or no6 cylinder.

If neither are rocking, then further investigation is justified.

I always look upon this as a "sanity check" when troubleshooting an engine.

Oh yeah, when No.6 cylinder valves are rocking, No.1 should be firing.

You can apply this to any engine, you just look at the firing order and the next one after the halfway point in the order is No.1 cylinder's companion. The pistons are at tdc at the same time. One or the other will be firing, and the valves rocking on then other.

It would have been good if you could have verified the timing mark when the head was off, preferably by a solid stop method.

That said, if the engine hasn't run, you ought to be able to pull the head and work out what is going on. You should be able to refit it with the same gasket if it comes off cleanly.

Mart.

Edit: I wrote this before reading the two replies above. You can see the exhaust valve through the plug hole and possible the edge of the inlet. You can't see the piston on a flathead, only the valve.

You could use the cable tie method to determine TDC. You'd get it close enough for the sanity check described above.

Last edited by Mart; 12-11-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote