View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Le Baron Bonney, Out of Business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoguy View Post
If I hit the Powerball tonight, all will be good, will reopen the company soon. LOL

You would likely be in the same predicament as Scott was. I nodded my head when I read Bill's thoughts on how he would invest the winnings, ...because he was a CPA and he probably know which islands and cigars are the best!

So take a moment and think this thru. A company was started in 1938 and has arguably been the leader in the industry until sometime in the last decade. From my observations, the likely cause of the demise is lack of knowledgeable talent to perform the work. As L/B's knowledgeable talent retired or left, their craft training was likely not proactive enough to keep the company productive. As a result, it perished.

So now lets consider what happens if someone were to buy the extinct company. The patterns are a great starting point but they mean nothing to someone who is not familiar with them. If someone off the street is hired to be a trimmer, the patterns likely do not show how much selvage or excess material to leave, and often times it might be a little short (-or long) in an area that was discovered early on but not corrected because it was just remembered over the years and that info passed down to apprentices. Additionally, you really need to have a working knowledge of how the pieces are constructed to do the job correct. Cut the piece goods incorrectly, -or sew the pieces incorrectly and you have lost time and materials. Have one malfunction on each project and you soon are at a break-even, --or at a loss on profits.

So hopefully you are realizing the key component that makes it work is the company's talent. I am guessing that L/B had lost that, ...so the question is, where would you find replacements who are knowledgeable in Model-A upholstery & trim? Its kind of like purchasing a Brain Surgeon's tools. Just because you own the tools would not make someone successful at that business.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote