View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
JayJay

Default Re: GAV Adjustment + Choke flood

I think there's a fine line between enough choke and too much. What I do on a cold engine is

• spark fully retarded
  • throttle down a couple of notches
  • GAV 1/2-3/4
  • choke out for no more than 4 revolutions.

If the engine catches before 4 revolutions then I put the choke in, but sometimes it will start to die. So I pull the choke out quickly but very briefly to re-establish the rich condition to keep it running, and pull the spark advanced. Almost always it will keep running. But if it dies at that point I crank it a couple of revolutions with the choke open, then pull the choke out while cranking but only 2 revolutions. It's easy to flood by overchoking.

One of my cars is very sensitive to spark position, the other not so much but is much more sensitive to GAV (needs to be opened more until it's warm). You just need to learn your car.

Know your fuel supply situation, too. If you turn off the fuel valve at the tank and then continue to run to draw down fuel in the carb before stopping, upon starting it will need a bit of time to reestablish the fuel level after you turn on the valve. So it might seem to be harder to start for some other reason, when in reality it's just fuel starved.

And a weak battery will not help, get it charged!

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote