View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 08:34 PM   #28
Will D

Default Re: '38 Ford gear oil flowing from trans to diff??

So..... I've got the differential back together. New seals, carrier bearings/races and new to me, used axles. I reused the pinion, ring gear and pinion bearings/race as they were in great shape. Was quite the task but with the help of a couple resources I found online, vern tardels book and numerous threads/forums from the fabulous folks on the ford barn and hamb it's together and waiting for paint to cure/harden before finally assembly of torque tube, spring and finally into the car. I ended up purchasing a 12ton hydraulic press(luckily on sale) which made the job so much easier and cost effective.

Upon further inspection I decided to replace the spring shackles. To say this job is a PITA is an understatement! The ones in the spring came out with the hydraulic press no problem. But the ones in the axle housing were a different story. I made a hand press with some scraps I had kickin' around which helped for the left side but not so much the right. After hammering out the bolt, the hand press pushed out the metal sleeve with ease. However, the right side not so much. It would not budge! I ended up using the hacksaw method to cut into it, once I was thru enough I wedged in a screw driver to curl the sleeve enough to put in some penetrating fluid. I was then able to press it out. The handle on the press pictured is really of no use, was on the threaded rod already, I just used a long wrench over the stub for leverage.

Can't wait for final assembly and installation! At least I still have some summer left to hit the road!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200614_175045_resized.jpg (42.2 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20200614_144353_resized.jpg (59.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20200614_145633_resized.jpg (66.4 KB, 39 views)
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote