View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 07:59 AM   #12
kenparker

Default Re: Balancing an engine at home (Newbie)

I have done exactly waht you are asking about , in my "home shop". It can be done and it does make a difference in the smoothness of the engine. Four cylinder engine VIBRATE, but you can take most of the vibration out.

Balancing an engine and installing a counterbalanced crankshaft are two different things. You should take your new (or old) crankshaft, Flywheel, Cllutch pressure plate, Clutch disc to a professionall balancer. My balancer even wanted the front pulley. Each piece is balanced while rotating, then balanced as a unti. This is to one step most "home shops" do not have the very expensive ewuipment to do.

The balancing of the pistons and rods you can do. Slow and tedious but very satisfiying when you get er done. I had one set of pistons theaat were 20 grams out of balance - out of the box from on e of the majr vendors. Sent them back and the second set was within 4 grams of each other. 4 grams is common acceptance, but not gud nuff for me. I balanced to within 1 gram - pistons with rings. Rods are a little more complicated to balance, but doable. Worth the try.

When I went ot my balancer with the crankshaft, he wanted to see the rods and pistons, then rebalanced them to within 1/4 gram on his homeade equipment. He balances engines for racing engines.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote