View Single Post
Old 01-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #15
Synchro909

Default Re: Not Model A, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of this.

Back in the 80's, we had a country general store about 2 1/2 hours north of Melbourne. One evening, a guy appeared at the door of our residence behind the shop asking for a mechanic. The town was too small for that but once he explained the problem, I volunteered to get him going. I used a couple of 2 litre plastic bottles, an octo strap and some plastic tubing to rig up something similar to the OP. The Octo strap held one of the bottles to his sun visor (he was driving an early 80's Toyota) and a piece of tube syphoned fuel down to the carburetor. The other piece of tube was so he could syphon more fuel out of the tank when the first bottle ran out. He gave me a look I won't forget when I sent him on his way home to Melbourne (2 1/2 hours away). He rang next morning to say he made the trip home OK and was amazed it worked. He admitted he thought I was mad the night before but he had decided since that there is a VERY fine line between madness and genius.
I sometimes wonder how many times he retold the story.