View Single Post
Old 11-10-2016, 11:02 PM   #17
Pete

Default Re: Shock absorbers - modern style

To 3.6rs, no, I can not tell you the length of Mac's shocks but I am going to hijack your thread slightly because I want to and I don't like the way Mac's shocks mount upside down according to good engineering principles.

First off, understand this, I am right and the world is all wrong.
Second off, if you just want to bolt on some chinese crap and say you have tube shocks,
STOP READING HERE.

I have been following this shock problem for many years and absolutely no one (well maybe one) has attacked the problem scientifically.
Everyone who decides he needs or wants tube shocks on his model A decides this shock fits his application or that shock looks good or his buddy says he has gas shocks and they are no good etc etc ADNAUSEUM!!!!!!

Most model A guys do not have access to a shock dyno for testing shocks, SO, what do you do next?
You go by trial and error. YOU DO NOT GO BUY SOME KIT THAT JOE BLOW SAYS IS KEEN.

First, you are going to have to have or have access to some fabrication equipment like a welder of some kind and a bench grinder etc etc. Store bought bolt on brackets and fixtures are very seldom adequate.

You measure the length of shock you need, eye to eye, for your application.
7 inches of travel is more than adequate.
Then you go to Ebay, like it or not, and look for, SPRINT CAR OR MIDGET RACE CAR SHOCKS.
There are usually many of all lengths and sizes. You look for a 7 inch or 9 inch unit with a 2 inch barrel.
They will normally be listed with the compression
rebound rate by a number or 2 numbers.
Here is where it gets important.
You have to have some idea of what kind of ride you want and this will come from experience ONLY.
If you want a very soft chair car ride, look for a pair of shocks with low numbers like 2 or 3 for compression and 4 or 5 for rebound. Higher numbers equal stiffer.

DO NOT be in a hurry to buy the first ones you see. Remember, you are in the research mode and the first ones you get, you may not like. The thing is, they are used and they are cheap so if you don't like them, resell them or trash them.
After you go through a few sets, you will be knowledgeable on what works on your car for you.
Then, you will be a GURU and people will flock to you for advice that you can charge them any rate you think is appropriate.

One more IMPORTANT thing.
Race shocks mount BODY UP. This is to reduce unsprung weight. While this is not too important on a vintage street vehicle, a shock is designed to operate in one orientation. They don't work too well upside down.

One last thought.
It does NOT matter what a shock is filled with. Nitrogen, oil, air, or oat meal, the only thing that matters is the compression rebound rate and the ONLY way to know that is either a shock dyno or the seat of your pants.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote