View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 12:07 AM   #49
Brad1929

Default Re: Yard sale "A" project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Brad, I started with one not much better. I had to replace 90% of the wood, and yes. I will be "Upside down" in it when it's done. You can see most of the work I did in my album "My A" I tried to put the pictures in such way that it would be helpful to someone else doing one of these.
The Wood! The wood is probably the most daunting of the steps, stages, and or assemblies that are involved, But it's not insurmountable! I did buy my top wood and the sills. Pretty much the rest of it, I made. If you should try this (And I would suggest that you do, if possible) You must duplicate the sizes and curves exactly! And there is hardly a square angle on any of it.
The seats! The seats are basically a simple wooden frame with a spring on it. The seat spring (F) is relatively easy to make from a mattress spring with some modification and welding. That brings me to another necessity, You're going to need a small MIG (wire feed) or TIG welding machine. The thing you'll need the most is the ability to hang in there. Some of it will go quickly and you'll be happy, some of it won't. You will have learned a lot by the time you're done!
Terry
Terry, I've had some of your pics on my computer for quite a while now. I like the one with you sitting in the car when it was red primer, blue paint and a little rust. I look forward to seeing pics of it when it's done.
Yes, the wood is a daunting task because of the the lack of pieces in my car and apparently no plans readily available.
As for the MIG welder...I have 5 of them... and two TIG welders, plasma cutter etc. Metal is easy...curved wood is harder. I do home remodeling, so most wood I work with is straight dimensional lumber.
Hanging in there...that can be a problem because I'm not retired yet. Thanks for the advice and inspiration.
Brad1929 is offline   Reply With Quote