View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #10
M2M

Default Re: Interesting GAZ B engine "barn find" in Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey M2M,
What is that in US money ? I'm thinking $368.00 or so ! If so, and that is a 'perfect' gaz B block, I'd get it and if a perfect block, it should have a C type crank and rods ect to make the deal even better.
HOWEVER, it appears to be a hunk of rusty iron sitting out in weather. Ergo, without a teardown...I'd pass on it.
Of course, that is also if it were next door and not in Russia.

1 USD = 60 RUB so you're correct about the price. A fair price I think assuming the block isn't damaged; also my guess this stationary engine was made post-WW2 making it less valuable than one made prewar. It must be remembered that Soviet made classic cars are very expensive because of the supply/demand equation. There were only 42000 GAZ-A made from 1932-1936; less than 20 have survived with many of these being incorrect or poorly restored. One million GAZ-AA were made from 1932-1950 but again, very few of these have survived. Until 1986 all trucks were government property (they could not be sold to individuals), so when these trucks broke down they were scrapped.

gaz-a-5.jpg

Hardtimes, what's the story of how you ended up finding/buying a NOS GAZ B block?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote