Thread: Air Filter
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #14
Synchro909

Default Re: Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
Here is a link to a post on KandN filter I fitted to my RHD
Model B carb. It works well, mixture is light tan on plugs with 1/4 turn open on GAV, carb is not balanced for vacuum.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209736
SAJ in NZ
Thanks for that, Stuart. When I make an air box, it is usually out of fibre gless and when I do a metal one, I use exhaust pipe. To get a sharp bend, I cut a vee, bend and weld it closed. For the fibreglass ones, I make a core out of polystyrene, coat it with PVA and let it dry thoroughly. I then put the matting and resin over that and once finished, I remove the core by sloshing a little petrol in there. Sometimes the air box does a U turn under the carby, then upwards to the filter mounted on the radiator stays. They are easier in FG. Other times it comes out between the steering column and the choke rod, then up to the air cleaner in the same place.
I have tried to put a B carburettor on an A engine but the steering column prevented it. Determined, I shortened the verticle tube of the inlet manifold and reattached the flange but with a bit of a twist so the intake cleared the steering box. That meant the choke rod wouldn't line up so I moved the knob to the left of the steering column and put a little universal joint in the choke rod just above the floor (I made my own steering column support bracket to accomodte it). That worked a treat.
I can understand why the American vendors don't sell this sort of stuff for RHD cars because we have all found our own solutions and therefore don't need one of theirs.