View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #33
34fivewindow

Default Re: Which Shaft is Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Thanks for all the feedback.
Progress Report: It is an axle, not a drive shaft. Pulled the fill plug to see if the ring gear is turning, and yes it is. I did not have to go under with a flashlight to peek into the fill hole. When I got to the rear end, lubricant was pouring onto the garage floor from the ring gear picking it up the back side of the banjo. I hope I never have to do that test again, but if I do, I will use reverse instead of low gear. Doesn't much matter which axle, since they are both the same, but I will be pulling wheels and hubs later this week. That should tell the tale.

The job will be done with the rear end under the car. First, I do not have room in the garage for the rear end. Second, I have replaced several axles that way in the distant past with good success. Mart's videos were an enormous help in refreshing my memory on the details. Thanks Mart! Third, the rear end was completely rebuilt three years ago when Joe Smith Early V8 replaced the ring and pinion with 3.25 gears (which with 284 engine are great on the highway and no problem in town). So, no need for further refurbishment.

The strain and lifting is way over my limit either in or out of the car. I will enlist the services of a stout young lad to do the wrench bending, under my supervision.

So, does a stock, early model year '41 have the 18 tooth axle, or the 16 tooth?
No luck in finding either, so far. Any suggestions on sources?
Try All Ford, in California. they have NOS ford axles, i just installed two from them in a 40 rear end that belongs to a buddy.
34fivewindow is offline   Reply With Quote