View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 11:54 PM   #82
CHuDWah

Default Re: Ebay sales tax in place

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Florida has the same requirement as Minnesota and other states likely do as well. Let me guess who is unaware of that despite being a resident (evidently).
Quote:
It refers to the guy who lives in a state where there is no income tax and yet he still resents helping to pay for the services he receives from the state.

Well since I am aware of the Florida use (not sales) tax requirement, it's good to know you weren't referring to me even though I'm a resident (evidently) and your post immediately followed mine. Are you aware out-of-state sales tax can be credited against the use tax? So Florida may not get anything from an out-of-state transaction anyway.

Sure, I don't like paying taxes. Who does? But I realize they're necessary and if you read my posts in this thread, you know I didn't object to them per se. What I do object to is the inconsistent way sales tax is assessed on online versus in-person purchases.

In this thread, it has been stated the online tax is assessed by the state to which the goods are delivered. I would argue title to them passes when they are paid for, regardless whether that is online or in-person. I would further argue the state where that occurs should assess the sales tax. Apparently that is your opinion as well:

Quote:
In your example it is based on the long-standing premise of taxation where the goods are received and not a result of a recent change in Washington state tax laws. You received the goods in Washington at the auction and were assessed the sales tax accordingly. Where you ultimately took the goods had no bearing on the imposition of the sales tax.

Hershey veterans know that everything purchased at the swap meet there is subject to Pennsylvania sales tax and has been so for decades. Very few vendors charge for it separately, but the sellers are accountable to the State of Pennsylvania for sales tax on all of their sales of goods physically on site and it is enforced.
Arranging delivery via USPS, UPS, FedEx, whatever simply is a courtesy service provided by the seller (whose cost the buyer likely reimburses or pays directly) after title to the goods has passed. A car is the exception, which isn't really an exception at all. Although it is paid for before it is shipped, title has not passed. That happens when it is titled in the buyer’s name and in Florida, that is when the tax is paid. If eBay collects the tax, hopefully it will be efficiently remitted so the titling can go smoothly...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

And yeah, I still realize my opinion and $5 (plus sales tax ) will get me that Starbucks.

Oh, BTW, Florida has no income tax because we soak all those snowbirds who come down to escape the Minnesota winter.

Last edited by CHuDWah; 11-12-2019 at 12:07 AM.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)