View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 11:56 PM   #11
Rusty Sills

Default Re: Brakes quiz!! ID the mistery system.

Cool!! Thanks for the responses ... one and all.

I believe that Mr Conway stepped up and gets the first "Thanks!" ... and has accepted the burden of forever being in my "debt" ... (always read for hidden terms). But being as I am, I'll let him off the hook. chuckle

Seriously, thanks to all of you who offered your knowledge and insight. I happen to have a well used copy of Rick's book. But I'll have to dig around to find this Mr/Mrs/Ms/Mstr Warshawsky ... and find some eccentric hoarder who archives JC Whitney catalogs.

My oldest copies of JC's went to the outhouse at some time or other ... his cataloging was prolific ... and there was not enough light in there to read them. Oh! Wait!! You thought I meant ... !?

I'll have to investigate that over-center issue. Seems ... off hand ... that the lever arms should(?) be mechanically stopped from going over center when the lever arms contact ... in the horizontal state ... the bottom surface of the actuating block ... and that the downward force and travel exerted on the actuating pin would be mechanically stopped from ... hummm!? But, I'm just thinkin' out loud here.

But since I have no reason or basis to dispute the first hand experience with the over-center issue ... I'll have to give it serious consideration.

RedModelt gives me an idea on how to prevent that over-center issue ... welding a stop 'tab(?) to the fore and aft base of the actuating block. Something to stop the lever arms before they reach the horizontal position. Or, have a buddy (freebie!) mill out a couple of new blocks with added stop tabs. But I'm just thinkin' out loud here.

Since I have new cast iron drum/hubs, bearings, shoes, shoe springs, etc. ... I may just change everything out to OEM style components.

Hummm!? Shoe springs reminds me of "shoe strings" ... particularly, the potato type. I think I'll run out and get some of those ... come back ... sit down and noodle this ... noodle? ... out.

RS
Rusty Sills is offline   Reply With Quote