View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #16
modarace

Default Re: The great American race

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
That very well may be true. Tom was a promoter and also had "great pride in himself". If this is the same car, -and it appears to be, then my distinct recollection is he told all of us he built it. Maybe it was Ken's creation and Tom took credit for it when he wrote the check, ...or maybe Tom commissioned Ken to build it for him and since Tom wrote the checks, then Tom considered himself the builder. Tom is deceased now so we likely will never know all the facts. I probably have some pictures of it when it was in use as the pace car.

Ironically as a part of who was the builder, I know that Tom replaced this car with a 1937 Buick Shaffer 8 clone. At some point afterwards, Tom sold that vehicle to Corky Coker to raise funds. Later Tom commissioned Charlie Glick to clone the clone ...but this one would be painted red. I was one of the 7 guys that was flown to Paris, Illinois where we all (-Tom included) worked 20 hours a day as hard as we could go for about 3 weeks on building that 2nd Buick race car from scratch. I left a few days early to go home to pack my cars & parts for the race, but when we got to the start of the race that year, Tom did mention multiple times that he and others built that car. Maybe it was because several of us were there to keep him honest. It does not matter to me either way, ...if Mr. Griggs did build the car, then I feel he should receive the accolades.

interesting. the world may never know lol.
if you find the pics of it please let me know. its going to go on BaT soon.
modarace is offline   Reply With Quote