View Single Post
Old 03-03-2022, 05:38 PM   #8
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: '55 Ford dome light wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Wadsworth View Post
@Daves55Sedan--that's a beautiful '55. I like that two tone. I've seen some with the dark blue on bottom and lighter blue on upper body, don't think I've seen one with the lighter blue on bottom. What's the third character of the serial number indicating the assembly plant? My father worked at the Atlanta plant 1952-82.
If you are asking which plant my car came from, I'm pretty sure it was the Norfolk plant, but it was sold new from a dealer in southern Texas.
I'm not sure it makes a difference as far as the two tone paint scheme. I have long pondered why some body plants painted their car body's using Fomoco's "Styletone" paint scheme and some plants were ordered to go with the "unique two-tone" scheme in 1955.
In the midwest, I saw several of both types running around in the '60's & early '70s, but that doesn't mean they didn't come from several distant plants originally.
There's probably no one left on earth that could tell you which plants were ordered to use which scheme (or both at different times of the year).
BTW, the unique two-tone style didn't necessarily always mean that the light color was on the bottom of the car. Sometimes the dark color was. You'd need to see original '55 Ford sales brochures to see what I mean.
Main difference between styletone and unique two tone is that the styletone has the exterior bottom and top of the car as the base color of the car (firewall, undercarriage, inside of doors, trunk, hood). Then the second color woulkd be applied to the middle.
The unique two tone cars had the middle of the car as the base color including (firewall, undercarriage, inside of doors, trunk, hood and exterior top), while the bottom and window frames were a different color. Unique two tone paint schemes were only applied to Fairlane models.

Last edited by Daves55Sedan; 03-03-2022 at 05:47 PM.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote