View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 07:11 AM   #385
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Folks,
Engine # 2 evaluation is in full swing. As with any used item there are some issues.
I believe this is the same crank in my engine #1.
Minor set back on a broken bolt in the engine block where the intermediate bell/ starter housing. This was drilled and re-tapped to next size thread.
Next was to get the engine on the stand and remove the oil pan.

Typical sludge in the bottom, under the tray.

The oil pump looks much better than engine #1. Will get this cleaned up.

Main bearing caps removed:

Almost had a oops here as I rotated the engine on the stand and the crank came out of the journals!
Cleaned the tops of the pistons and found .030 stamped on the tops.
Valves look ok.
The babbit is much better than engine #1. There is one spot about the size of a pencil eraser that is missing on the front lower bearing cap.

I need to lift the crank and view the upper babbit material condition also.

Note to self: Must re clock the crank and cam gears!

Timing gears look pretty good:

Cam and lifters seem ok:

Back in the day they may have considered this engine to have additional life, and put this back in service?

So I will continue the disassembly of engine #2 to evaluate the pistons and rod journals then will be open for opinions on the next moves.
One thought is to clean this up re-assemble #2 and put it in the truck to evaluate other systems.
Doing a complete correct updated engine rebuild for the truck is not out of the question. I believe this #2 engine could allow me to have a truck that can move and actually may have some life left in this engine. It is work put it together and back in the truck. Part of that would be the learning process too.
Open to ideas and suggestions!
Thanks for checking in on me! Hope things are good in Ford land.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote