View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 05:36 AM   #2
fortyonerag

Default Re: ‘46 Convertible top not working

I did a 46 with a hydraulic system a little while back. The combined pump/reservoir is mounted on the firewall and is activated by a solenoid.

The switch under the dash starts the hydraulic pump and also selects the hydraulic circuit to either raise or lower the rams thereby moving the top.

Use a starter jumper lead (it's a heavy current draw) to momentarily bridge across the pump solenoid. If you hear the pump run, the pump is OK.

If the pump is OK, test the solenoid. Momentarily apply power to the small stud on the solenoid (I'm assuming+ve earth 6v) if you hear the pump run, the pump and solenoid are OK. If not, you'll need a new solenoid.

On the one I did a few months back the pump motor solenoid was not the same as the starter solenoid. The pump solenoid needed power to operate, the starter solenoid needs earth - go figure. You can use a starter solenoid, but you need to change the switch wire feed from power to earth.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258476

If the solenoid is OK, the switch under the dash is possibly iffy. Very possible if it's working in one direction only.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)