Thread: front spring
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
SeaSlugs

Default Re: front spring

to properly repair this there is one of two things:

A: Buy a replacement spring install and be done as i dont think yours is a ford spring anyways

B Remove spring from axle, remove the bushings in each end as Im sure they are shot as well, sandblast the rust and gunk off each leaf, grind the inevitable groove worn into the top of each leaf, taper ends of each leaf to prevent them from making a new groove, have them all arched that will only last a short while till they sag again, press in and possibly ream new bushings, prep for paint, paint, let it fully dry, lube with dry graphite or graphite paint as you reassemble, tighten up with new tie bolt, cut excess threads off and peen over the little bit sticking out, attach your clamps which will now be too "long" as your leafs have worn thinner so make spacers that the bolts slip through to keep them snug. after all that borrow or buy a spring spreader then reinstall it but right before you do lube the very top plate with your graphite.

I'd go option A and order a new tie rod to go with it....

you will need a spring spreader - if you dont your leafs are too flat and are shot hence why i mentioned above to have them re arched but that doesnt last in the long run.