View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 02:24 AM   #15
M2M

Default Re: Install disconnect between 1 and 2, or 3 and 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmws View Post
If you put the switch in the hot cable, the cable between the battery and the switch will still be hot even with the switch off. If the cable rubs through and touches a ground there may be a fire. If you put it in the ground cable even if that cable touches the a ground nothing will happen because it is just going to ground.

I asked this question also on Facebook and someone had a similar reply:

"The best side is on the chassis connection (1-2 in this case)and the reason is that the live pole of the system is only exposed a few places at wiring terminals. The chassis ground, however, is almost everywhere on the car. Hence if you drop a tool on the disconnected ground pole, the probability that the other end of the tool will by chance contact the live side wiring is almost non existent except for the case of shorting across the battery poles themselves, which a disconnect switch will anyway not guard against. On the other hand, if you with the switch on the live wiring side of the battery drop something on the disconnected pole of the battery, chances are pretty high that the other end of the thing will contact the chassis creating a monumental short."

So I think I'll go between 1 and 2 and I already have a good disconnect switch. Which leads to the question; what do you use from the battery to the switch, and then from the switch to the chassis? Coppers straps or wires? If you use wire for all or part of the job what AWG wire size do you use?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote