View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #1
walkerlakeprinter

Default Cooked corn in radiator

The first time I ran my newly-reassembled 1929 Coupe, it overheated quite quickly. I did a dumb thing by opening the quail radiator cap before she had cooled off and got a geyser of hot water and cooked corn! When the excitement was over, it looked like I had dumped a can of hominy on the hood. Well.....I figured that whatever the chipmunks had put in the top of the radiator probably had been gushed out. I refilled the radiator and went for a few short drives, but the overheating is starting to happen more quickly now. This time, after she cooled off, I took a flashlight and looked at the top of the core and it looked like someone had dumped a can of creamed corn into it.

Ugh. Since the plugging is obviously made of corn, is there anything that would dissolve it so it could flush out? I saw one post that mentioned Drano, and it was answered by "you're kidding, right?"

So....I'm looking at removing the radiator and flushing it out upside down? Or is there something less drastic that could liquify the foodstuff so it could be drained out or backflushed while still in the car?
walkerlakeprinter is offline   Reply With Quote