View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #130
davids2toys

Default Re: 36 Ford drag link orientation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Yo, Dave....I don't quite feel yur pain...MY knees have hurt the past 30 + years, I don't have a lift, and I don't have a Cobra!

Seriously though, take a peek at the YouTube video in the link below. It shows a couple of guys using a rosebud acetylene tip to heat and bend a couple of old Ford spindle arms. These are essentially the same forged steel that's used in your Pitman arm. This video should give you an idea of how hot you need to get that arm, keeping in mind that your Pitman arm is actually a larger cross section, meaning you'll have to heat just a little longer for the greater mass of your arm. Also, you may notice that he's bending with a large adjustable wrench (more control) rather than whanging on it with a BFH. I spent a good bit of time yesterday looking for the torque on that old Ford nut. Couldn't find it! I did come across a similar-sized Mustang nut and they said 150 ft. lbs. PLUS! I'd snug it up to a similar tightness and continue turning the nut 'til you can insert a cotter pin. Click on the link below! DD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uZZ74MR7v4
Yes I had the achy knee/bone on bone for a long time. Between both knees, I have had 6 arthroscopic surgeries for Meniscus tears, I finally opted on a left knee replacement 3 months ago. I don't know if this was smart move at all. I am in a lot more pain now than before the surgery! Hopefully with time it will get much better. My other knee is now just as bad and I was going to get the replacement on that also but now I am holding off until this one gets much better

I guess you need to get a Cobra then...LOL

Great video, I do have a much better idea of what to expect and how hot to get it. I guess that also answers my question about doing it on the car. I would be nice to do it in place and get everything exactly where you want it. I dont think I have enough room under there anyway, but maybe.

I have also been looking all over the place for the required Torque on the Pit-man arm nut. When removing, it sure was not on there with 150 ft lbs! It felt like about 60!
While I'm asking, what is the torque on the drag link to Pit-man arm castellated nut. Somewhere I read 40-50 ft lbs???
Dave
davids2toys is offline   Reply With Quote