View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
rehpotsirhcj

Default 3sp toploader; could it have worked like this?

Hi guys.
I have a quick trans question for those familiar with top loader internals.

I’m working to rebuild my first 3sp from a trans I bought for the 78 case. Turns out that the condition of the gears, mainshaft, etc. look pretty good. In fact the syncro rings look almost new.

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been working to identify what parts I actually have, and part of what I have found makes me wonder if this trans was a failed rebuild or if it could have been run.

A few items of concern:
1. the long and short caged bearings were reversed in the cluster gear
2. The sychro hub is the early narrow slot tab type, but the sleeve an 01A (incompatible according to Mac Van Pelts book (excellent read)
3. The thrust washers show signs of wear, with excessive play (50 thousands out of spec) between second and the adjacent thrust washer. Probably mostly from the shorter synchro hub.

My (maybe flawed) plan is to replace the hub with a 81A and hope that it’s greater length, along with a new thick thrust washer does the trick.

So, what do you guys think, could this combination have functioned??! Or did someone come up short on a backyard rebuild?

I’m about to take the plunge on replacement parts, so any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks much,
-Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rehpotsirhcj is offline   Reply With Quote