View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 10:50 PM   #40
dean from bozeman

Default Re: Swap meet etiquette / Luray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
It is prudent to be very careful when approaching a seller to negotiate a lower price. You never know, some of these guys take it as a personal insult if you suggest they lower the price.
I had that happen to me at the Big Three Swap meet in SD. It was a $15 part and I offered $12. The old man said 'Put it down. I'm not selling anything to you. I know what my things are worth'. ..or something to that effect.

- Cash is king. Put big bills in one pocket. Small bills in another.

- Keep the part in your hand until you make a decision. Once it touches the table it is up for grabs.

- Don't think that you'll come back and buy it later. There's a good chance that you won't have a second chance.

- If you are not up for multiple trips to your car or something is pretty heavy then ask the vendor if you can keep it there for a while until you can pick it up later. If you leave something at a swap space, swap phone numbers.

- A JS is too heavy to carry around. Been there done that. Won't do it again. Leave it at a friend's swap space or in your car. Or photocopy the pages of the part(s) that you will be looking for.

- Have a flashlight. A tape measure. Gloves. A notebook. Your card if you have some.

- Tell folks what you are looking for. They might have it at home or know someone who has what you need.

- A swap meet where you don't buy a thing might be the most successful one in your life. If you find out who does what; how to do that; or someone telling you 'what I found out...' then you might have saved yourself some headaches and possibly some money.

- Though I don't hear as well as I used to, I do love walking around a swap meet and just listen to the laughter and a good story or two. Just don't feel that you have to listen to a guy tell you about every car that he has ever owned.

No matter what the swap space is selling (Mopar, Corvette, Dodge, etc.) look for at least one Model A part in the swap space. If there is one, spend your time looking through the space. I have bought some amazing Model A parts at a non-Model A space.

Can't go to Luray but will be at Oshkosh in less than a month.

- (Tongue in cheek) Now remember all this fancy swap meet etiquette when you are at my swap space in Oshkosh. I want everyone to smile, bring too much money and give me a healthy tip!

- (Seriously) At Oshkosh I will be helping a friend sell a family collection of great parts. Personally I can't wait to see what he hauls out of the trailer.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote